Richmond Male Orphan Society, Richmond, Va.

Files

Valentine_Richmond Male Orphan Soc_Cook rsz.jpg
Valentine_Richmond Male Orphan Soc_Cook detail rsz.jpg

Title

Richmond Male Orphan Society, Richmond, Va.

Description

Boys standing outside the Richmond Male Orphan Society at Amelia and Meadow Streets, Richmond, Va. 

The Richmond Male Orphan Society began in 1846 when the director of the Female Humane Association was approached by a homeless boy begging for coins. Recognizing the city’s need for a boy’s home, concerned residents formed the Richmond Male Orphan Society in Church Hill. It made various moves and is now located in western Henrico County.

The organization’s name has evolved over time to the Richmond Home for Boys and then the Virginia Home for Boys. When it began to house girls in 2004, it was renamed the Virginia Home for Boys and Girls. Among its services are foster care, alternative education, independent living services and psychiatric and medical care.  


Creator

Cook, Huestis P., likely

Source

Cook Collection, The Valentine

Date

c. 1890

Contributor

The Valentine

Rights

This object has been digitized in a public-private partnership. As part of this partnership, the partners have agreed to limit commercial uses of this digital representation of the object by third parties. You can, without permission, copy, modify, distribute, display, or perform the digital object, for non-commercial uses. For any other permissible uses, please review the terms and conditions of the organization that has made the item available.

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-NC/1.0/

Collection

Citation

Cook, Huestis P., likely, “Richmond Male Orphan Society, Richmond, Va.,” Social Welfare History Image Portal, accessed December 17, 2017, http://images.socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/items/show/224.