Female Humane Society, Charity and St. Paul streets, Richmond, Virginia

Files

Valentine_Female Humane Society_X_48_94_19 rsz.jpg

Title

Female Humane Society, Charity and St. Paul streets, Richmond, Virginia

Description

The Memorial Foundation for Children’s story began in 1805, when a homeless girl supposedly presented herself at the door of Jean Moncure Wood, wife of Governor James E. Wood. Realizing that the city lacked a shelter for needy girls, Mrs. Wood worked to establish the Female Humane Association in 1807.

The Association was incorporated in 1811 and built its first shelter on the corner of St. John's and Charity streets in Richmond. It was later called the Memorial Home for Girls (1921), the Memorial Foundation (1946), and then the Memorial Foundation for Children (1962). Throughout its history, the organization has provided shelter to homeless children, guidance and psychological services, and daycare. In 1972, the foundation shifted from direct care to giving financial assistance to other local charities.

Creator

Scott, Mary Wingfield (photographer)

Source

Date

c. 1940

Contributor

The Valentine

Rights

This object has been digitized in a public-private partnership. As part of this partnership, the partners have agreed to limit commercial uses of this digital representation of the object by third parties. You can, without permission, copy, modify, distribute, display, or perform the digital object, for non-commercial uses. For any other permissible uses, please review the terms and conditions of the organization that has made the item available.

http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-NC/1.0/

Collection

Citation

Scott, Mary Wingfield (photographer), “Female Humane Society, Charity and St. Paul streets, Richmond, Virginia,” Social Welfare History Image Portal, accessed December 14, 2017, http://images.socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/items/show/242.