Richmond Exchange for Woman's Work, 309 East Franklin Street [pamphlet]
Exchanges were popular places for women in hardship to sell goods on consignment without working publicly, a social taboo at the time. Some Exchanges still operate, and while the Richmond Exchange closed in 1955, it launched several female-owned businesses including Sally Bell’s Kitchen, still in business. Its founders—Elizabeth Lee Milton and Sarah Cabell Jones—met through the Richmond Woman’s Exchange.
A handwritten note at the document's end records "From March 1st 1883
to March 1st 1884
$2430.80 was paid
to consigners -"
Printed text excerpts:
The Association has been organized to aid ladies whose pecuniary circumstances require them to make their own handiwork a means of their support, and also to afford an opportunity by which work may be sold for charitable purposes.
The rooms of the Exchange are located in a convenient part of the city, and there useful and domestic, fancy and artistic articles are exhibited and sold. Orders for work of all descriptions may be given, and purchasers of tasteful and useful articles may relieve the wants of others while gratifying their own taste.
NO COPYRIGHT – UNITED STATES
The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
Acknowledgement of the Virginia Historical Society as a source is requested.
Sander, K. W. (1998). The Business of charity: The woman's exchange movement, 1832-1900. Urbana: University of Illinois
Jones, D. G. (2001). A box lunch. Richmond, Va.: D. Jones.
Federation of Woman's Exchanges
Richmond Exchange for Woman's Work, Social Welfare History Image Portal